Why Choose MN-PS?
The Reasons to Consider Alex Comfort and Mountain Non-Profit Solutions:
Alex Comfort will tailor a project to your individual situation
- Eight years in the full-time Episcopal Church ministry and participated in three area-wide capital campaigns, 1978-1986.
- One of the top Campaign Directors for Ward, Dreshman, & Reinhardt, Inc. – the nation’s first fundraising firm, 1986-1988.
- Director of Development for Covenant House New Orleans (a national shelter for homeless teens), 1988 – 1992.
Alex will guide your project with experience, compassion and humor
- Increased annual revenues by 43%.
- Directed its first capital campaign for $400,000.
- Vice President, LSU Health Sciences Foundation, 1992-1996.
- Created and expanded fundraising, capital campaigns and endowment programs at Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, and Allied Health.
- Was the consultant for the formation of the Foundation for the School of Medicine in Shreveport.
- Associate Vice Chancellor for Development, Principal Gifts, and Planned Giving, University of North Carolina at Asheville, 1996 – 2007.
- Took annual giving from $900,000 to $3.5 million.
- Increased percentage of alumni giving from 6.7% to 14.3%.
- Served as Campus Director for UNC Asheville’s first capital campaign, raised $11.1 million on an $8 million goal.
- Was the Capital Campaign Director to build the Reuter Center, the home of the Center for Creative Retirement, $4.2 million.
- Secured naming gift for the Kimmel Arena for the Wilma Sherrill Center for Health and Wellness.
- Executive Director, Cradle of Forestry Interpretive Association, Brevard, NC, 2007 – 2011.
- Re-structured a $2.5 million a year non-profit which was losing $250,000 per year.
- Left it with $300,000 in the bank and the ability to hire a full-time Executive Direrector.
- President, Mountain Non-Profit Solutions, LLC, 2009 – present. Conducts feasibility studies and directs capital campaigns, planned giving and endowment programs, and development analyses for clients.
Pro Bono Activities
- Through the Association of Fundraising Professionals of New Orleans, personally consulted with and augmented fundraising for 11 area non-profits from 1991-1996.
- As Board Member of the Melvin R. Lane Fund closely advised 12 area non-profits, 1997 - present.
- As member of the Association of Fundraising Professionals, Western North Carolina Chapter, 1996 - present, President (2013 - 2014) consulted with and assisted 7 area non-profits, 1998 – present).
Affiliations and Awards
- Association of Fundraising Professionals, 1989 – present. Board member 8 years, Chair of National Philanthropy Day, 3 times. Frequent presenter and lecturer. President of the WNC Chapter of AFP, January 2013 – December 2015.
- Certified Fund Raising Professional (CFRE), 1991-2007, 2014 - present.
- Board Member, Melvin R. Lane Fund, 1997 – present.
- Outstanding Fund Raising Executive, AFP New Orleans 1995.
- Outstanding Fund Raising Executive, AFP Western North Carolina 2010.